Lessons from being separated, losing job and seeking justice

 
 
For a protracted struggle of this kind, the struggling individual woman (or man) should have material and moral support. It is of the utmost importance that they should be able to secure an income while the struggle continues. Without economic support, the individual may break down or end up as a beggar or a prostitute.
In countries like Tanzania, where there is no social security, there is a need to create some mechanisms for providing such support through, for example, Juwata or professional organisations. A fund should be created for this purpose. Once these organisations think that their member has a cause to complain they should offer financial and material support.
This is a critical factor for every worker, man or woman. Moral support, which is the support of one’s friends, colleagues, peers and family is also important. As far as I am concerned, my dismissal was enough to paralyse and incapacitate me.
In fact, I don’t doubt that it was calculated to destroy me totally. At the time of my dismissal I was separated from my marital home and was struggling to build my life afresh.
My dismissal meant a double struggle – a struggle to survive and a struggle to get reinstated. I had no close relatives in Arusha since my parents were resident in a different part of the country. At the same time, in l985, inflation was at its peak and I was being thrown out of the company house. I could easily have become destitute and a mental wreck.
What saved the day was that I was able to use the knowledge I had to my advantage and had established a considerable network of friends within and outside my country, who gave me emotional and moral support. Because of my involvement with women’s issues, I was invited to several meetings, conferences and workshops, locally and abroad, which mostly proved to be paid trips. These greatly enhanced my economic well-being. I was also able to take jobs of a temporary nature as a consultant or to present papers or give talks for a fee.
In terms of moral support the greatest and the most prized and touching contribution came from the workers at FAL who used to visit me occasionally and provide me with maize, rice and bananas or beans. They would drop by from time to time to check on me and enquire how my case was progressing. Their support was most encouraging. Friends, both near and far, used to telephone me or call on me to take me for a drink. My lawyer friends enlightened me on the procedural side of my case. Other friends would volunteer financial support. The combination of all these kept me going.
Lesson number four
Ignorance of one’s legal rights and a lopsided appreciation of the political system may hinder women (and men) from winning their cases or from even attempting to struggle. It is very sad that some people tend to place either too much or too little faith in the institution of justice and political system.
It was heartbreaking for me sometimes to hear people say in Kiswahili: ‘Hata ukilalamika, malalamiko yako yatafika wapi?’ (Even if you appeal against your dismissal, what kind of result can you hope to achieve?) These people evidently were sure that I was going to lose the case. The instruments of justice were not perceived as an impartial arbiter between my more powerful adversaries and myself.
In a way, I could understand this perception, but I was willing and ready to test my hypothesis that law can be impartially administered, provided that the individuals, who have to deal with a particular case, and the system under which one petitions, are not inherently unjust.
Previous
Next Post »